OCAF MISSION STATEMENT:
(OCAF is a Georgia registered NON PROFIT corporation 501(3)(c). Donations are tax deductible as provided by law: check with your CPA for more information.)
The OCAF by-laws place all authority in the Board of Directors. The Executive Board is made up of the officers of the Board and reports to the full Board of Directors. Staff is comprised of Executive Director and Office Administrator, they report directly to the Executive Board and the Full Board. Board members are elected for three year terms, and are eligible to be re-elected for one consecutive three year term for a total of six years. At the end of six years, Board Members must take one year off from the Board before they can be re-elected to a post.
Click here to see our current Board of Directors.Staff
Executive Director: Cindy Farley
Office Administrator: Sherry B. Woodruff
Program Assistant: Margot Ecke
Founded in March 1994 as an all-volunteer and nonprofit arts center in Oconee County, OCAF develops programs and classes in the performing, visual and literary arts. Annual cultural arts festivals, ongoing art exhibits, classes for children and adults, and musical and theatrical performances highlight OCAF's schedule of events. OCAF supports artists and crafts persons in the region by providing a venue for exhibits and sales of artwork and craftwork and by educating the community to increase the interest in the arts.
In 1994, OCAF entered into an agreement with the Oconee County Board of Education to lease a four-room schoolhouse, originally occupied in 1902, located at the end of School Street in Watkinsville. The building, unused for 12 years, had fallen into a state of disrepair. With love and care and a lot of sweat equity, OCAF was able to hold its first major art exhibit to coincide with the 1996 Olympics. Since then, the 1902 OCAF Art Center has become the hub of the Oconee County arts community--full of ongoing exhibits, concerts, performances, arts classes and special events for people of all ages.
In early 2000, OCAF assumed ownership of the 1902 OCAF Art Center, along with the kindergarten building and the old gym from the Board of Education. Both buildings were in need of major repairs and renovations to be used to full capacity. By the fall of 2001, volunteers had transformed 50 percent of the kindergarten building into what is now known as School Street Studios. With the additional space, OCAF's class and workshop offerings increased more than 300%.
Volunteers continue to make renovations on the 1902 building, School Street Studios, and Rocket Hall. Committed to renovating these buildings, OCAF members want to foster the traditions of education and sense of community that this complex of buildings provided for 50 years.
Office and Gallery Hours are 10 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday